- WPATH in its wisdom uses the terminology Transsexual, transgender, and gender variant quite a bit and clearly in many cases differentiates between transsexuals and those that are not. Why?
- Aversion Therapy is now considered unethical if used on transsexuals and I assume that means all trans people.
- They now allow kids to begin both blockers and hormones as early as necessary.
- They also screwed up the age kids can have surgery by aligning it with a criteria that could cause kids to wait until they are 21. It is weird how they seemed to understand other issues with children yet blew this one. Maybe I read it incorrectly.
- There is no longer a requirement to see a therapist before beginning hormones or being required to gain approval of a therapist for hormones. That means no more silliness where some pre-op has to start RLE without at least some time on hormoes to help.
I think number 2 must be causing some consternation in Toronto in the Blanchard camp. Aversion therapy is a favorite technique of his and although it is not in any way similar to what I and others went through it is still not pleasant although not as violent. I must wonder if this is some sort of shot across the bow of Blanchard and his ilk as there seems to be a move away from the control shrinks, quacks, and idiots like Blanchard have in certain countries. I believe in Canada one must go through this asshole to receive government funding for SRS and for a child or even an adult that would give me the chills.
Number 3 is what I and others have proposed for a long time and what we few that help children on our own have been doing for close to 40 years with a 100% success rate although it is a small sample size. Getting either MTF or FTM children on their correct genders hormones and totally blocking puberty is so important and allowing them to go through the puberty of their correct sex is maybe even more important. It is amazingly soothing to watch you body feminize when you are a teenager as any genetic girl will tll you. For any MTF or FTM the correct puberty can be life saving and prevent any attempts at suicide which are prevalent in trans kids.
Number 4 is a weird issue. based on how it was stated surgery could be as early as 16 in some countries or as late as 21 in some states or countries. I think it should be revisited with a firm date of 16 being the earliest date. I believe that is a good time table but then I am biased about this.
Number 5 is a big one in some countries. I have read the horror stories of some later transitioners as they were forced to start RLE before any blockers or estrogen. In my opinion this is a good decision and I am looking with interest at what happens in certain countries not named the United States where this has been a position taken by some facilities.